Did you know that it only takes an extra 100 calories per day to gain about 10 pounds each year?! So if you have a weight loss goal, or even a weight maintenance goal, let’s put 100 calories in perspective. All the items below are at least 100 calories:
- 3 oz ice cream = 105 calories
- 1 Tbsp butter = 100 calories
- 1 Tbsp mayo = 100 calories
- 1 slice American cheese = 100 calories
- 2 slices bacon = 100 calories
- Chocolate chip cookie = 100 calories
- Glazed donut = 250 calories
- 1 oz milk chocolate bar = 150 calories
So when we think “oh, it won’t hurt to have a little treat,” maybe we are wrong. Or maybe we need to spend some extra time exercising. For example, in a one-hour hatha yoga class, a 150-pound person burns about 190 calories. Or that same person can burn about 240 calories jogging for 30 minutes or 175 calories walking (at 4 mph) for 30 minutes.
So be aware of what you eat. Don’t let a little snack derail your goals!